FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Family second boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Laurencet View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Laurencet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 19 at 8:53pm
The miracle looks interesting, are all the frp boats expensive?
There is a nice one on apollo but its 5k. Is it only the new boats that have a Spinnaker?

Pulling a laser 2000 with 2 strong adults wasn't easy.
Especially when your wet cold and been sailing hard for 2 hours, I'm use to sitting in a comfortable trapeze harness.

I still don't understand why the Hull weighs 160kg on a laser 2k,
When a plywood miracle weights 59kg its only 70cm shorter.
I just didn't love it when sailing it.

Just spotted a 505 that's a bargain, shame my daughter is a bit heavier and strong enough to help pull it up the beach.

How cozy would a rs feva be 3 up? I imagine it would be great with just myself and daughter.

andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 19 at 6:59pm
Always begs the question of where. And what else is sailed at your club
If you sail a 700 your level of fitness should make light of a 2k over a beech with good wheels.
Most of the utility boats you would be considering to fit another adult and a child in are on the heavy side.
Similar demographic owners at your club will already have looked at the options.
I have to say I was equally dismissive of the 2k until I got one. Because there were lots at my club. I think they are great family boats now.
Andy Mck
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 19 at 6:36pm
Even a Miracle would be difficult to pull over soft sand on your own, can;t think of a single 2 hander that would be easy.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 19 at 5:24pm
If it was me, I'd have a Miracle every time, they are so underrated and overlooked.

Pretty light, plane in breeze, sym. kite, centreboard, carry weight alright for their size.

I have a mate who's dyed in the wool 505 and he has one as a second boat, loves it.

Laurencet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Laurencet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 19 at 4:39pm
Hi All

Just curious what you would recommend, I have a rs700 that I love sailing and will continue to race. I'm looking for a second boat that I can take my family out in. My Wife is a non sailor and my 4 year daughter would love to join me on quieter days. I sail on the Wash so looking for something with a reasonably shallow draft that's happy in chop.

I had a go in a laser 2000 and wasn't a fan, why is it so heavy???
l could never launch that on my own or pull it back up the beach. (soft shingle beach)

Is there a modern equivalent to the mirror? Ideally with a asymmetric Spinnaker that's made from grp or plastic.

I'm not looking for anything new or shinny would prefer something that I can take out in a storm when it's too windy for the rs700.

Ideally I want to spend less than 1000, I'm not looking to race so it's purely a fun family boat.

I looked at the Weta which ticks most the boxes but they are still so expensive. I wondered about a hobbie beach cat but wasn't sure how stable they are..

Thanks in advance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12