FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aluminium trollies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 19 at 5:19pm
Well of course the windsurfers will be 'far away'.... far away ahead of the dinghies that is  Wink

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 20 Mar 19 at 5:20pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
H2 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 19 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by H2

The Farr for example - I assumed that as it is small and made for midgets that it would be light but the hull weighs 50kg!!!!

A genuine 50kg is still pretty light for a 12ft length, 5ft beam boat that is often built from wood. And its a measured weight, not a manufacturer's brochure weight.

The weights I quoted for the H2 are ones I have measured myself rather than something the maker told me  Tongue

Edited by H2 - 20 Mar 19 at 5:33pm
H2 #115
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 19 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Rupert

The H2 is a lot more boat than the others mentioned. Are we back to complaints about boats being heavier than windsurfers again?

If so, then the Father Ted episode in the caravan may help?

Yup - a hull which is 4.2m long and 1.95m wide. Same length as a Blaze and 55cm less beam.....but about a ton lighter!! (well actually about 20kg lighter for the hull only)

Edited by H2 - 20 Mar 19 at 5:37pm
H2 #115
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 19 at 5:36pm
How do ally trolleys fair with the stresses from the road when trailing?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 19 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by H2

Originally posted by Rupert

The H2 is a lot more boat than the others mentioned. Are we back to complaints about boats being heavier than windsurfers again?

If so, then the Father Ted episode in the caravan may help?

Yup - a hull which is 4.2m long and 1.95m wide. Same length as a Blaze and 55cm less beam.....but about a ton lighter!! (well actually about 20kg lighter for the hull only)

And 40+kg lighter than my Spice (what it really weighs that is). Bear in mind an epoxy Blaze weighs around 50kg out of the moulds, 72kg is including racks, CB, all fittings and some lead.  Tongue I'm assuming the H2 weight includes CB and fittings (and, hopefully some lead) so more like 16 kg (or roughly the weight of the racks and tramps) LOL.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 19 at 6:34pm
While we are on the subject when, if ever, is more weight an advantage in a racing boat? Stability? Momentum in the light (but probably more than made up for by the extra drag and lost acceleration)?
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 19 at 6:48pm
Ballast may be advantageous. Weight, well, it depends what you call an advantage. Slow heavy sluggish boats may survive in wind and wave conditions where a fast boat will get the crew into trouble faster than they have the skill to get out of it again. That's all very well, but it means that the crew has to put up with the poor performance in sensible conditions.

Edited by JimC - 20 Mar 19 at 6:50pm
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 19 at 6:52pm

So perhaps we can look to you for a weight related adjustment to the handicap figures ... well that is surely what you are implying !   Must be 'fair'  .... Wink

BTW in reality Sam is not far out with his figures  but the wing system is around 7.8kg complete  ...... and without any doubt I'm definately keeping mine.  

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 19 at 6:54pm
There was some talk of the Aero's propensity for blowing away (both on the water and on it's trolly)
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 19 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by iGRF

Given that Health and Safety refuses to permit anything over 32kgs being handled by one person,

Handled by one person or lifted by one person? .

Well don't we have, on occasion, to do both?

I can't understand why anyone can be defensive about unnecessary extra weight, just because of build inefficiency. Let me remind y'all.. It's 2019, we're nearly 2020, carbon prices are at an all time low. I had not a heated, but an 'interesting' discussion over the fact the Streaker dinosaurs would almost certainly refuse my application for a carbon decked Streaker for next winter, not surprising I guess, since they can't even get to grips with a carbon mast, meanwhile I wonder how many ex Streaker sailors have gone for Aero 7s, which totally eradicates their 'expense' argument.

None of us are getting any younger, and the biggest ballache is not on the water, it's the humping about on and off the trailer/car roof/ garage floor and don't even talk to me about 21st century Snowflakes who can't even lift a spare wheel never mind change one.

If ever there were solid proof of all this it's the tremedous success of the Aero. It's light, that's it's principle USP.

Sorry, it's a fact get used to it, and as a 'weighty' class, innovate, adapt or die. Fundamental rules of existence I'm afraid.

Edited by iGRF - 20 Mar 19 at 8:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>