New era for Gold Coast Waterways - Authority announced
by Steven Minnikin MP on 21 Dec 2012
The Gold Coast’s iconic waterways have moved closer to a new era of autonomy and prosperity following the appointment of the Authority board.
Gold Coast Broadwater .. ©
Transport Assistant Minister Steve Minnikin and Member for Broadwater Verity Barton MP said the appointment of the board of the Gold Coast Waterways Authority was another step to the long-term sustainable use of the waterways.
The inaugural board will consist of Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate, Michael Bartlett, Raymond James, Prof Rodger Tomlinson, William Turner and Martin Winter.
Mr Minnikin said former Gold Coast Mayor Gary Baildon is the chair.
'This board provides the wealth of knowledge and experience to create a vision for the Gold Coast’s iconic waterways and embark on a 10-year management strategy for this vital asset,' Mr Minnikin said.
'They will advise the Government on improving access, availability of boating infrastructure and promote marine tourism and recreational activities.'
More than 70 applications were received from members of the community with planning or development backgrounds, as well as infrastructure engineering, commercial and marketing development experience.
Ms Barton said the authority board had the diversity and relevant experience to successfully promote the long-term, sustainable use of Gold Coast waterways for maritime industries, marine infrastructure and recreational activities.
'The board will oversee the development of a 10-year management strategy to ensure the prosperity and longevity of an ecosystem we have long taken for granted,' Miss Barton said.
'To start the ball rolling, we’re already investing $30 million from our Marine Infrastructure Fund to establish the Gold Coast Waterways Authority.'
The Gold Coast Waterways Authority Board will be responsible for advising on waterways within the Gold Coast City Council’s local government area.
• Gary Baildon has served as a Councillor with the Gold Coast City Council including as Mayor. He has also served on many business, Government, tourism and community boards and is currently Chairperson of the Gold Coast Community Foundation, president of the Gold Coast Show Society and Board Member and Chairman of the Gold Coast Hospital Foundation.
• Martin Winter is CEO of Gold Coast Tourism Corporation.
• Professor Rodger Tomlinson is Director of the Griffith Centre for Coastal Management, Griffith University.
• Michael Bartlett is retired with a background in marine, coastal and waterway planning.
• William Turner is operating a consulting business specialising in infrastructure project evaluation, funding and procurement including contract documentation, probity and governance, risk management and financial management and administration.
• Raymond James is Managing Director of Icon Energy Limited.