The Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation (ARFF) is happy to launch its call for A Charter for Recreational Fishing in Australia.
With over five million Australians going fishing each year, recreational fishing ranks as our largest participation sport and lifestyle activity. Recent estimates reveal that Australians spend more than $10 billion annually on recreational fishing and much of it is spent in rural and regional Australia.
The huge popularity of fishing and the wealth and wellbeing it generates, now means that recreational fishing is starting to be recognised by governments at all levels as well as by the community at large.
Australia needs a national Charter or comprehensive policy plan for recreational fishing, so that the important role recreational fishing plays within our community is better understood by decision makers and the broader Australian community.
The following initiatives are proposed as part of the development of a national Charter for Australia’s recreational fishers:
- The appointment of a Minister for recreational fishing;
- The establishment of a Recreational Fishing Council to act as a point of engagement between the recreational fishing community on key policy developments and implementation;
- A scientific review to inform how decisions are made about access to marine reserves;
- The recognition of fishing as a sport by the Australian Sports Commission;
- The development of a long term sustainable funding model for representation and policy development activities;
- A national education strategy to facilitate and co-ordinate education activities at the national, state and local levels;
- A research trust fund that will work with existing funding and research mechanisms to focus research on priority areas for recreational fishing policy; and
- An environmental trust fund that will work with existing funding mechanisms and on-ground organisations to facilitate activities that enhance and protect riverine and marine habitats.
We are asking all political parties to consider our call for a National Charter for Australia’s recreational fishers and adopt the initiatives required for the Charter as part of their policy platform leading up to the 7 September Election.
by Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
7:34 PM Fri 16 Aug 2013GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.